Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Games I Play

I got started in roleplaying with an old and worn 2e AD&D starter set - the intro thing without the full rules, with flimsy little paper books - bought from a friend back in middle school. Ran a game or two for my friends, then kind of let it be until, miraculously, I discovered the actual 2e AD&D books for sale in a bookstore.

From there, I've gone on to run and play so many games.

I thought it would be interesting to list those games, starting with those I like least or am least willing to run or play, and working up to my favorites. It's hard to place some of these games exactly as my interests fluctuate from day to day, but I think it's a good first attempt. I may write some posts later to evaluate the pros and cons of each game. Note that some of the games rank poorly on this list only because there is another game that does better; for instance, GURPS 3e is the last on my list not only because there are so many things I dislike about it, but also because I love GURPS 4e so much more.

24. Generic Universal Roleplaying System (GURPS), Third Edition

23. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Second Edition

22. Star Munchkin

21. d20 Modern

20. Tri-Stat dX

19. Ars Magica, Fourth Edition

18. The Wheel of Time Roleplaying Game

17. All Flesh Must Be Eaten

16. Paranoia XP

15. Dungeons and Dragons, Third Edition

14. Maid

13. Blood of Heroes

12. Call of Cthulhu d20

11. Scion

10. Vampire: The Requiem

9. Iron Heroes

8. Arcana Evolved

7. Genius: The Transgression

6. Geist: The Sin-Eaters

5. Nobilis

4. Exalted, Second Edition

3. Changeling: The Lost

2. Generic Universal Roleplaying System (GURPS), Fourth Edition

1. Ars Magica, Fifth Edition

You may notice a curious absence from this list; I have yet to play 4e D&D. From what I've heard of it, it's not really the kind of game I'd be interested in, and buying into it with all the books it has and is likely to gain will be expensive. I'd rather save the little money I have for games I'm more certain I'll like.

No comments: